What is everybody else doing to make their upscales look so good???

Discussion in 'Helpdesk' started by ccecil1985, Nov 26, 2020.

1. leonardol4e92

leonardol4e92 Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You should definitely bootcamp, it does cause it has a large catalog of filters you can use http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters

ffmpeg is mostly for rendering as i know it doesn't have filters but codecs

i recommend you to first switch to windows :grimacing: and then install megui/avspmod/virtualdub (for previsualization) and avisynth for the filters to work

2. alievarthur

alievarthur Member

Threads:

Oh, so you are completely satisfied with Topaz results. Then my post was a total waste of time, since I thought your opinion was "yes, it is flawed, but I'm gonna keep encoding anyway even if there are means to have better picture in real time watching." I'm still sure some alterations to topazlabs site need to be done, people shouldn't be misinformed on purpose. Just one question : do you agree that heavily compressed videos can't be saved with this software and good dvd source can be enlarged with the same picture quality just by using MPC-HC + Avisynth (for IVTC) + MADVR (highest possible settings)?
    Of course, I will check out your upscales and sincerely hope they will make me change my mind and start upscaling every low res video I have till my computer blows up)))

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  3. leonardol4e92

Threads:
    Not satisfied but impressed, and yes is still has lot of flaws but keeps improving every update

My answer to your question is: NO, every video can be improved even just a bit, and upscaling videos in real time with MADVR and stuff looks worse in my opinion

4. alievarthur

alievarthur Member

Threads:
    Ok, so let's say I have a low resolution video which is also very "blocky" and noisy because of a low bitrate. Can it be processed without smearing all the detail (which still present on video) and actually look better than original? Is there a software to fight those compression artifacts to be used before Topaz?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  5. leonardol4e92

Threads:
    Don't you the stars and the moon also? lol i mean it can be improved but of course you can't keep all details intact when denoising

6. alievarthur

alievarthur Member

Threads:
    The first sentence got lost in translation, but if I interpreted it right - this sacrasm was uncalled for. Macroblocking is an error that can be handeled without bluring (lots of information and research papers can be found in the internet). The videos I had in mind simply can't afford losing any more clarity and are already 320*240, that's why I asked if one can directly throw such video into "AI enchance" or reconstruction solution is needed first.
    Anyway, thank you for the discussion, think I understood all I needed to and cleared most of the things up for myself. Hopefully that kind of software will soon become so good that low quality videos would be remembered as a thing of the past)))

leonardol4e92 likes this.
  7. alievarthur

alievarthur Member

Threads:
    I have watched your "Better in time" and "Suerte" and must admit that it looks very very good and can be considered as a reference quality. Thank you for the work it involved, for sharing it here and for choosing those particular music videos, like them very much.

8. leonardol4e92

Threads:
    I'm glad you liked them :blush:

9. laiwingnang

laiwingnang Member

Threads:
    just installed avisynth...and it seems like getting the QTGMC plugin installed is a 50 step process, then i still gave me an error even when i replicated everything this youtube tutorial said..so yeah..I give up. I'm a programmer and this is a user-unfriendly nightmare..nothing is intuitive about this...not worth the time unless you're really an enthusiast

anton5k likes this.
  10. greekbrit

greekbrit PieceOfBrit

Threads:
    could you please pm me?