[Tutorial] Dolby E Decoding - FFmpeg

Discussion in 'Helpdesk' started by delta10, Oct 17, 2020.

1. delta10

delta10 blast91r

Threads:
  2. Loading...

3. alievarthur

alievarthur Member

Threads:
    Interesting

4. delta10

delta10 blast91r

Threads:
    Anyone interested in the technical part of Dolby E can look at the attached links.

HINT

In some FEEDS, you're able to listen to the singer's isolated vocals through the C (central) channel of the surround mix. This channel may contain only the sound sent through the microphone!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    DTS MUSIC 5.1 likes this.
  5. Mizz

Mizz Well-Known Member

Threads:
    thanks

6. DTS MUSIC 5.1

DTS MUSIC 5.1 The Mixer

Threads:
    I saw the SB LV feed. What an awful sound! I mean, that's the worst "professional" mixes that I've heard.

Why use the stadium echoes and reverb at the center? The LR vocals were too low by themselves, and the sLsR's...well played with the respective reverb and ambient, but I don't know why they did an echo & reverb mix.

Without doubt first time I heard live, I said : "That's a bad mix"
    Hopefully some day NFL releases a soundboard audio from that performance.

If you listen carefully the censored part of the first song (Starboy) you can hear a solid instrumental audio and then changes to that horrible mix.

delta10 likes this.
  7. delta10

delta10 blast91r

Threads:
    Hi! Let me clarify first that I didn't use this method to decode Dolby E. Nuendo and SurCode were used for both SB LIV and SB LV.

Now, I totally agree with you. I suppose that you listened to each channel separately. I like the audio mixing in SB LIV way better! Although, I don't know if there really was any kind of lip-sync as it's rumored.

As I state in my post above, the LFE channel of Dolby E is almost silenced in satellite FEEDS. It happens with these two FEEDS as well.

Moreover, for both these shows, the frequencies above 17 kHz of the Dolby E audio are cut off. It was probably done in order to feed the decoded output directly to the Dolby Digital encoder, for TV Broadcasting. The frequencies of the audio, which are above 17 kHz, are cut off sometimes in TV Broadcasting.

One important thing to know is that almost every Dolby E audio is 16 bits in satellite FEEDS. This is the case with these two Super Bowl Shows too. It's a common practice in the Broadcasting Industry. But we usually decode it as 24 bits, just in case that the audio bit depth might actually be higher than 16 bits. Well, we could always decode it twice. Once as 24 bits and once as 16 bits, and then we could compare the results. But that's kinda boring.

These are my few points of view.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    DTS MUSIC 5.1 likes this.
  8. auser-hNx99

auser-hNx99 Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you very much for this tutorial. A downside to it is it produces an output with screeching, weird sounds and sharp cutoffs all over the track, which is bugging me a lot. It could be me doing things wrong, or maybe something's not right with my PC, but I've tried it on another computer, and I get the same results. Please, if you know of a way to fix this, I'd appreciate help. Thanks again!

9. delta10

delta10 blast91r

Threads:
    I've sent you a private message :)

10. auser-hNx99

auser-hNx99 Active Member

Threads:
    Just read it. I had totally forgotten about this comment haha

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH! :blush:

delta10 likes this.