FLAC Buzzcocks - 1978-03-08, Top Rank Suite, Brighton UK (M)

Discussion in 'Live Audios (lossless)' started by mikedreams, Mar 11, 2018 at 3:13 AM.

1. mikedreams

mikedreams Well-Known Member Donor

Nov 20, 2013
    Top Rank
    Brighton, UK
    March 8th 1978

Master cassette>Audacity>FLACer>here

A stereo recording with an unknown machine. Two microphones on the balcony front row, dead centre.

[Full online mp3 sample down below.]

1. Breakdown
    2. Fast Cars
    3. I Don’t Mind
    4. Noise Annoys
    5. Autonomy
    6. Get On Our Own
    7. Sixteen
    8. Walking Distance
    9. Boredom
    10. Whatever Happened To?
    11. Moving Away From The Pulsebeat
    12. Fiction Romance
    13. Love You More
    14. Love Battery
    15. Oh Shit!
    16. What Do I Get?
    17. Time’s Up

Total times: 52m 19s

•Pete Shelley – guitar, vocals, keyboards•Steve Diggle – guitar, vocals•Steve Garvey – bass•John Maher – drums•

Andy and Gary’s box-in-the-loft comes up trumps again. It’s looking a little depleted these days, but it does throw up the occasional pleasant surprise. This is one of them. First of all, this is NOT the infamous riot gig. That particular show took place later in the same year, in the same venue. We taped that show as well, but have subsequently lost the cassette. Ah, well, such is life.

Decent recording, though. I hope you enjoy it.

End orig text

Title: Buzzcocks, Brighton 1978, previously uncirculated
    Original Torrent uploaded to DIME: May 3, 2010
    Size: 324.22 MB
    Category: Punk
    Uploaded by: andyh
    Deleted by: DIME Robot, Apr 22, 2014
    Reason: Exceeding inactivity
    Days on tracker: 1,450
    Last status: 326 times snatched

Files tested with TLH, no errors, by mikedreams aka thewaymouth

More than just a re-up: 2018-03-10

per thisdayinmusic.com, wiki, the daily bleed [& mikedreams]

Thai New Year: THAI ONE ON. [Un Thai me only when I give the safeword, "land"]

FESTIVAL OF LIFE IN THE CRACKS. [Ain't what it's cracked up to be.]

-- "Release the Crackers!" ...was the Nazi Shepherd dog-whistle, race warcry, of crazy like an alt-right whitesnake, US POS Blondi Drumpf. Allegedly. Drumpf was actually Trump's original family surname. Blondi (1941 – 29 April 1945) was actually the name of Adolf Hitler's German Shepherd, a gift as a puppy from Martin Bormann in 1941.]

2003 -- England: During the run-up to the invasion of Iraq, the Dixie Chicks performed in concert in London at the Shepherd's Bush Empire (sic) theatre. During the intro to their song "Travelin' Soldier", Natalie Maines, a Texas native, said: “We do not want this war, this violence, & we’re ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas." Maines was referring to her hometown of Lubbock and President Bush hailing from the same state. This was during the run-up to the invasion of Iraq. The comment sparked intense controversy and outrage among Americans, including a large share of country music fans. [Chicks as always take tons of shit, for always being right but just not right far enough.]

1913 -- US: Underground Railroad conductor Harriet Tubman dies, New York City. She conducted over 300 slaves on the Underground Railroad.

[As he promised at his last White House Correspondents Dinner as President, ex-POTUS Barack Obama has been hitting the corporate conference-speaking circuit hard. Obama had poked fun at his former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for three speeches she gave to Goldman Sachs. He quipped: “If this material goes well, I’ll use it at Goldman Sachs next year. Earn me some serious Tubmans.” (Cause if you don't mind/ I don't mind.)]

1914 -- England: Serious Cleavage? Mary Richardson slashes Velasquez's "Rokeby Venus" [aka The Toilet of Venus, Venus at her Mirror, Venus and Cupid] in London's National Gallery with a meat cleaver in order "to destroy the most beautiful woman in mythological history" as a response to continued harassment of the suffragettes. [This phenomenon is known as the penis envy er, Venus envy effect. Wham! Bam! Thank You, Ma'am! I hope you're satisfied.]

She wrote a brief statement explaining her actions to the WSPU which was immediately printed by the press:

"I have tried to destroy the picture of the most beautiful woman in mythological history as a protest against the Government for destroying Mrs Pankhurst, who is the most beautiful character in modern history. Justice is an element of beauty as much as colour and outline on canvas. Mrs Pankhurst seeks to procure justice for womanhood, and for this she is being slowly murdered by a Government of Iscariot politicians. If there is an outcry against my deed, let every one remember that such an outcry is an hypocrisy so long as they allow the destruction of Mrs Pankhurst and other beautiful living women, and that until the public cease to countenance human destruction the stones cast against me for the destruction of this picture are each an evidence against them of artistic as well as moral and political humbug and hypocrisy."

In 1932, after forming the belief that fascism was the "only path to a 'Greater Britain,'" Richardson joined the British Union of Fascists (BUF), led by Oswald Mosley. She claimed that "I was first attracted to the Blackshirts because I saw in them the courage, the action, the loyalty, the gift of service and the ability to serve which I had known in the suffragette movement". Richardson rose quickly through the BUF ranks and by 1934 was Chief Organiser for the Women's Section of the party. She left within two years after becoming disillusioned with the sincerity of its policy on women. [Sound ever so too familiar?]

1945 -- Japan: US kills 100,000 civilians & leaves 1.5 million people homeless. These are primarily women, children & the aged, an act of terror by the US government purposely targeted to demoralize Japan. This war crime — & many more like it — is not found in American school textbooks. The most destructive raid of World War II occurs, with more dead than in Hiroshima & Nagasaki combined.

334 B-29s drop nearly 2,000 tons of incendiaries on Tokyo, destroying large portions of non-military targets in the Japanese capital. Early in the morning, the B-29s dropped their bombs of napalm & magnesium incendiaries over the packed residential districts along the Sumida River in eastern Tokyo. Many women in the 16 square miles destroyed wore what were called 'air-raid turbans' around their heads & the heat would ignite those turbans like a wick on a candle...

The conflagration quickly engulfed Tokyo’s wooden residential structures, & the subsequent firestorm replaced oxygen with lethal gases, superheated the atmosphere, & caused hurricane-like winds that blew a wall of fire across the city. The majority of the 100,000 dead perished from carbon monoxide poisoning & the sudden lack of oxygen, but others died horrible deaths within the firestorm, such as those who attempted to find protection in the Sumida River, & were boiled alive, or those who were trampled to death in the rush to escape the burning city.

1962 -- US: Bruce Channel started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hey! Baby', it made No.2 on the UK chart.

[Popular culture references to, 'Hey! Baby':

-- In the 1984 hit single "Dancing In The Dark," Bruce Springsteen, an astute student of rock music history, would use the line to finish off the song's vocal: "Hey! Baby." In the song's promo-video, Bruce would use the line just when out of nowhere and thin air he picked out from the audience, Courtney Cox (later star of the 1990's hit TV-sitcom, "Friends"). Springsteen pulled Cox up on stage, to come dance out the end of the song with him. He would then repeat this pick-up magic trick in real life in concert on tours ad nauseam er, ad infinitum.

-- In the 1990's hit, animated TV-sitcom, "Beavis and Butt-Head," Butt-Head's numero-uno go-to pick-up line is, "Uh, hey baby, heh heh." Unlike Springsteen, Butt-Head was likely not directly referencing Bruce Channel, but rather possibly indirectly through Bruce Springsteen. Unlike Springsteen, the line never worked at all for Butt-Head.]

1964 -- Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel recorded 'The Sounds Of Silence' as an acoustic duo. It wasn't until record company producer Tom Wilson added electric guitar, bass and drums, without the knowledge of Paul and Art, that the song would become their first hit in late 1965. The old folkie Simon was "horrified" when he first heard it. [Oh, the horrifying sounds of cash registers ringing. S&G then went all in on the folk-rock craze.]

1977 -- UK: At 7am in the morning on a trestle table set up out-side Buckingham Palace, London, the Sex Pistols signed to A&M Records, (the real signing had taken place the day before). An after party was held at the offices of A&M records following the signing where the group set about reeking unforeseen havoc on the posh building, with Sid Vicious smashing a toilet and cutting his foot, trailing blood everywhere he went, while Rotten cursed and threatened every upscale executive in sight and guitarist Steve Jones getting it on with an unnamed fan in the restrooms. The contract lasted for six days. [Hello, EMI... Goodbye, A&M!]

-- "Punk Diary: The Ultimate Trainspotter's Guide to Underground Rock 1970–1982": Founding band members Howard Devoto and Pete Shelley chose the name "Buzzcocks" after reading the headline, "It's the Buzz, Cock!", in a review of the TV series Rock Follies in Time Out magazine. The "buzz" is the excitement of playing on stage; "cock" is Manchester slang meaning "mate" (as in friend/buddy). They thought it captured the excitement of the Sex Pistols and the nascent punk scene.

Devoto left the band in 1977, after which Pete Shelley became the principal singer-songwriter.

Full online show, mp3 sample
    set to go with w/recommended listens to tracks 7,8,9

PS Video new to me today:

--Where was I?...

Hidden Content:
    You must either reply or click 'Like' to see the hidden information contained here.

Never Mind The Time's Up, Here's The Buzzcocks

...And me, too.

"Your time's up / And me, too."

thewaymouth aka mikedreams on celebrating
    International Women's Day Week 2018 (03-08)

Today's actual post day and date: Saturday, 2018-03-10

...It was 40 years ago today...

Another Music in a Different Kitchen
    Studio album by Buzzcocks
    UK Chart Hit: 15, 11 wks
    Released, Friday, 10 March 1978

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018 at 3:35 AM